Applications are open for the RSL Literature Matters Awards 2023. The RSL Literature Matters Awards aim to reward and enable literary excellence and innovation. Each year, after an open call for proposals, the Awards are given to individual writers or other literary creators, recognizing their past achievements and providing them with financial support to undertake a proposed new piece of writing or literary project.
Priority will be given to proposals which will help connect with audiences or topics outside the usual reach of literature, and/or will help generate public discussion about why literature matters.” The project may be a piece/pieces of writing, a publication, an event, or a production.
- Applicants must be permanent UK residents. They are unable to offer grants to citizens of the UK living abroad.
- The person applying should be a writer or other literary creator with a successful track record to indicate the proposal is likely to succeed. They accept applications from small groups or colloborations/collectives of writers, but not from organisations, this includes publishers, presses, registered charities, CICs and companies.
- Applicants must be 18 or over at the time of application.
- You must be in need of the funding to carry out the proposal and be able to demonstrate this and how the money would be used.
- Anyone who has received any Royal Society of Literature (RSL) Award or Prize (not including Fellowship) in the last two years may not enter.
- They welcome partnership with organisations but if the project is dependent on their involvement, you must have already confirmed with them that they are willing to collaborate with you.
- Projects will need to be safe, demonstrable and actionable, in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. You must show that you have taken this into consideration in your application, ensuring the safety of all participants and feasibility of delivering the project should circumstances change.
- Current members of RSL staff and trustees are not eligible to apply.
Duration and Benefits: A total of £20,000 is available – this will be split across a number of projects, which will be chosen by the judges. The winners will be announced in October 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the button below or click this link
Deadline: July 28th, 2023