Tarbell Fellowship Program is a one-year programme for early-career journalists interested in covering emerging technologies, especially artificial intelligence.
Fellows receive a 9-month placement at a major newsroom, participate in a study group covering AI governance & technical fundamentals, and attend a 2 week journalism summit in Oxford.
The Tarbell Fellowship provides a stipend of up to $50,000 to support these placements.
Type: Fellowships, Training
Application Deadline: October 15, 2023
Value & Duration of Award: $50,000 Stipends, Fellowship Placement, Oxford Summit
- Fellows receive 9-12 placement at a major newsroom covering artificial intelligence. Placement details vary by outlet.
- Stipend. Fellows receive stipends of up to $50,000, depending on circumstances, for the duration of their placement. We expect stipends to vary between $35,000 – $50,000 depending on location and personal circumstances.
- Intensive AI Training. Prior to placements, fellows undergo a 2-month program on AI technical and governance fundamentals. This program requires ~10 hours per week and is conducted remotely. Sessions include guest lectures, paired assignments, and readings.
- Oxford Summit. Fellows attend a two week summit in Oxford at the beginning of the fellowship. This will be an intensive fortnight of guest speakers, workshops and networking events in Oxford and London. Travel and accommodation costs will be fully covered.
How it works
- Challenging. Fellows will spend the year building skills and a strong portfolio to accelerate their journalism career.
- As the fellowship is not associated with a specific news outlet, fellows must work hard to gain experience. Stipends may be used to support freelancing, placements in major newsrooms, or the production of other forms of journalism.
- Full-time. The fellowship is a full time commitment. Journalism is a highly competitive industry, and we expect fellows to be completely focused on succeeding.
- Remote. The fellowship is entirely remote. This enables us to support rising journalism talent from around the globe.
- However, we strongly encourage fellows to move to international journalism hubs for the duration of this fellowship. We expect this to accelerate fellows’ careers and will give preferential treatment to those willing to do this.
Eligible Countries: All Countries
Eligibility: To be considered for the fellowship, you must:
- AI expertise. A deep interest in artificial intelligence and its effects on society. Many fellows will have experience working in tech journalism, machine learning research, or AI governance.
- Passionate about journalism. Previous newsroom experience (including at student newspapers) or comparable experience in a field such as law or research is desirable but not necessary. We seek to support early-career journalists and will prioritise potential over experience.
- Excellent writing skills. A creative approach to storytelling combined with the ability to quickly get to the heart of a new topic. Fellows must be able to produce compelling copy under tight deadlines.
- Relentless. The ability to doggedly pursue your goals and persevere in the face of adversity. Fellows must be willing to work hard, and be capable of withstanding repeated rejection
- Open-minded. The desire to understand the truth of any given story, even when it conflicts with prior beliefs. Fellows must be open to criticism and recognising ways they can improve their writing and thinking.
- If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point above, please apply and let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the world of journalism.
How To Apply: Interested candidates should click on “Apply For This Scholarship” below
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point above, please apply and let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the world of journalism.