The McGill University MasterCard Scholarships are designed to empower academically outstanding young leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to world-class university education as well as comprehensive support networks to help them achieve.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program seeks to establish a transformative network of African young people and institutions that will drive inclusive and equitable socioeconomic change.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
Value & Duration of Award:
- Full Scholarship
- Monthly Stipends
- Airfare Tickets
Eligible Field of Study: Eligible Master’s Programs (Non-Thesis ONLY)
- Animal Science: Sustainable Agriculture
- Bioresource Engineering – Environmental Engineering
- Bioresource Engineering – Integrated Food & Bioprocessing
- Bioresource Engineering – Integrated Water Resource Management
- Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry – Food Science
- Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry – Food Safety
- Human Nutrition: Project
- Public Health
- Public Policy (maximum of 5 Scholars per year)
Eligible Countries: Sub Saharan African Country (see list of eligible countries)
Eligibility: In order to be considered for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program you must meet the following criteria:
- Be admissible to one of the eligible non-thesis programs at McGill University
- Have never registered for /completed any graduate studies;
- Be a citizen of, and reside in a Sub Saharan African Country (see list of eligible countries);
- Have a valid passport and be admissible to Canada as an International Student (requiring a Study Permit). Those with dual citizenship, asylee, refugee or permanent resident status in the US, Canada, UK or EU are not eligible.
- You are welcome to apply even if you do not identify with a Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program priority group (listed below), however those who self identify with one of the following groups will be given precedence in the selection process.
- Refugee or Internally Displaced Person
- Person with Disabilities
- Have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community;
- Have an intent to return to your country immediately upon the completion of your degree with the goal of transforming your community through social and economic development;
- Must be less than 35 years old at the time of application.
How To Apply:
- 1.) McGill University Graduate Programs: Start your graduate application.
Do not pay the application processing fee right away, but complete all other steps.
- 2.) Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program : Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Application Form to have your eligibility for the study program and scholarship assessed. Only complete applications from candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be considered.
McGill Graduate Programs: Begin McGill University Graduate Application, prospective applicants should not proceed with the payment of the application, but complete all other components.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program: Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application form in order to have your application pre-screened for academic and scholarship eligibility. Only complete applications that meet the minimum eligibility requirements will be considered.