Julius Nyerere Masters Scholarship Programs was set up in 2009 in memory of Mwalimu Julius Nyerere who led Tanganyika to independence in 1961 and became the first prime minister and later president of Tanzania.
Nyerere received a scholarship in 1949 to attend the University of Edinburgh where he obtained a Master of Arts degree that saw him study courses in English, Political Economy, Social Anthropology, British History, Economic History, Constitutional Law, and Moral Philosophy.
With their rich history, noted alumni, and distinguished scholars, they have much to be proud of in our many centuries as a world-renowned university.
From Nobel laureates and Olympic champions to space explorers and prime ministers, the University of Edinburgh has been influencing history since it opened the gates to its first students in 1583.
They are the home of Britain’s oldest literary awards, the James Tait Black Prizes, and Dolly the sheep, the first animal to be cloned from an adult somatic cell.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must:
- Julius Nyerere Masters Scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic excellence. Candidates must have, or expect to obtain, the equivalent of a UK first class or 2.1 Honours degree at undergraduate level in a Humanities or Social Science subject.
- Candidates must submit a Personal Statement for the scholarship application which should clearly state why you are applying for this scholarship, along with your experience and aspirations in the field of Africa and International Development.
- Candidates must also arrange for two referees to submit reference letters supporting their application.
- Please note: The Nyerere Scholarship cannot be held alongside any other scholarship funding.
Duration and Benefits:
- The scholarship will cover Tuition Fees and an annual stipend of £13,500.
- The annual stipend will be paid in quarterly installments following full matriculation. Payments are made in September and December 2023, and March and June 2024.
- Awards are made for one year only.
- The award cannot be held alongside any other scholarship funding.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the button below or click this link
Deadline: June 15th, 2023