The Yale Young African Scholars Program is an academic enrichment program for outstanding high school students from around the world.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
Type: Secondary/High School Scholarship
Application Deadline: January 10, 2024
Value & Duration of Award: To make the program accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, there is no cost for students to participate in YYAS.
The YYAS Summit is tuition-free ($0) and provides free housing, meals, and all academic curriculum materials.
Duration of Program:
- YYAS College Prep Workshop (online; 5 days): 18-23 July 2024
- YYAS Leadership Summit (residential in Zimbabwe; 10 days): 9-18 August 2024
Eligible Countries: African Countries
Eligibility: To be considered for the Yale Young African Scholars Program, you must:
- Be between the ages of 16-18 years old by July 21, 2024 (first day of Session III)
- Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent)
- e graduating in May/June 2025 or 2026 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2024 or 2025 from the Southern Hemisphere
- Be a first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in a YYGS session during a previous summer (2023 and prior), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2024.Please note: If you previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria noted above, then you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2024.
How To Apply: Kindly read through the application steps here
Interested candidates should click on “Apply For This Scholarship” below
Required Documents: All students must submit the following application components:
- Activities list
- One 400-word essay and one 200-word response
- Two “fast take” responses (280 characters each)
- Official school transcript
- One Recommender (who will complete the YYGS Recommendation Form* ONLY)
- Application fee ($70 for Early Action and $85 for Regular Decision)
- You must click the Submit Application button on the “Review” page for your application to be considered.
- OPTIONAL: English fluency test scores (TOEFL or Duo-Lingo)
- OPTIONAL: Need-based financial aid